Monday, December 05, 2005

A good idea gone awry?

Okay, we've all read it: He's Just Not That Into You
The message of the book is good. I will give it that. And at times it is pretty funny, which is an added bonus. Yes, good book with a good message. And the Sex & the City episode that spurred all of this on was quite entertaining.

Now, I'm fine with just leaving it at that. It's a book worth reading. But no, that's not enough. Why stop with one little book? Now we have a He's Just Not That Into You journal, a He's Just Not That Into You book of daily devotionals or something like that, a He's Just Not That Into You calendar, and if all of that is not enough to tap out your wallet, fear not. Now there is a He's Just Not That Into You clothing line. I discovered it this weekend at the Jones Store. A rack of T-shirts with saying such as...guess what..."He's Just Not That Into You," and "Superfox," and something else which I can't recall. Of course I had to laugh at the absurdity. I looked at the tag on the shirt, and yes, it's true...now there is an official "He's Just Not That Into You" clothing line. The t-shirts are only the tip of the over-commercialized iceberg. I'm sure there's a screenplay somewhere in the works, and probably a TV series as well. Perhaps even a breakfast cereal with little letters that spell out "He's Just Not That Into You" as they float atop the milk. The possibilities are endless, really. Ten years from now I'll be watching "I Love the 00's" on VH1 and they'll all be laughing about this craze started by one little 90-page book.

Hey, more power to Greg if he can keep this thing rolling and retire an uber-rich man. And if it actually helps someone to wear one of those shirts, then by all means wear it and wear it well. Like I said, I actually like the book. Heck, maybe I'll even buy the sequel: "He's Still Just Not That Into You." It just makes me wonder, though...when is it enough?